The HEARTH Act was signed into law on May 20, 2009. The HEATH Act amends and reauthorized McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act with substantial changes, including:
- A consolidation of HUD’s competitive grant programs
- The creation of a Rural Housing Stability Assistance Program
- A change in HUD’s definition of homelessness and chronic homelessness
- A simplified match requirement
- An increase in prevention resources
- An increase in emphasis on performance
To read the amended and reauthorized McKinney-Vento Act, see The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, as amended by the HEARTH Act.